๒๕๔๙-๐๘-๑๙

Human Nature

For some reason, it is human nature to dwell on the negative. To hold onto the memories of pain and trials. It is easiest to focus on the things we don't like.

The web gives us an incredible medium to be able to share our points of view, regardless of what they are. It also removes any kind of filter, that we would normally apply to our thoughts if we were talking face to face with a person. This is one of the Catch 22's of the web. Freedom of speech meets freedom from identity. I personally think this is a good thing tho. It can give people a voice that they might not other wise realize they have. The problem arises, when other people begin to take notice of that persons opinion, and begin to add their own. Usually dissenting ideas are presented, not with logic and reason, but with stupidity and name calling. (I am generalizing here, not referring to anything specific in regards to recent events).

I've been and Administrator of a message board, that I have watched grow from 1 user (me), to a registered user base of over 10,000 members. The reason I mention this, is I've seen the same thing that is going on now, so many hundreds of times, I hope to better explain my perspective on it.

I think the point of view from the other blog, that was the inspiration for this one, is VITALLY important. If we cannot talk about things we don't like, then we are not a free society. However, I think that people should realize, that even with the anonymity grated by the web, thought and reason should still be put behind your words. I hope we never find out who people that choose to keep their identities secret are. Does it really even matter? Would knowing who the person is validate or invalidate their opinons?

It makes me sad in a way, to know that recent publicity has actually caused our friend to censor their previous thoughts. I completly understand why, but it makes me sad to know that because of the way people were reacting to the posts, that the author no longer is comfortable to keep saying what they were saying. I hope now that everyone has seen this, we can all take a fresh, deep breath, and continue the discussion with a bit of decency.

๒ ความคิดเห็น:

Unknown กล่าวว่า...

For those interested, I believe that mirrors of dizgruntled's site are up. I know I put up one. :)

joshua กล่าวว่า...

I respect everyones decisions for leaving. And I don't think anywhere have I stated that you are "wrong".

What I have done, and am trying to do, is put a dissenting voice out there to all the hatred that is being painted onto ePrize.

If you read any of my posts, you will see in no way, do I try and say ePrize is perfect. In no way have I tried to say that the current hours aren't excessive.

What I have tried to say is, the more people internally (and externally) that we can reinforce with positive attitudes, the quicker the problems will get resolved.

All these other blogs are not attempting to resolve anything, but hatred and anger. And thru the posts, you are HURTING my chances of re-creating ePrize into a better place to work.

If people only see this negative view point, it's will be difficult to bring in the quality of people that we need.

Are the negative blogs the only thing that are keeping the talented people out? Of course not, but they don't help anything either.

I hated the new Superman movie, but I didn't start a blog about it to try and change peoples own opinions.